Studies show that leaky air ducts account for 25% of the wasted energy in your home or business. You can imagine how this ductwork problem hits your monthly electric bills and causes your HVAC system to work harder than it should. Today, LoveJoy HVAC will provide you steps on how to check leaky air ducts in your Lucas, TX, home.
Before we go through the steps, keep your eyes on these warning signs of leaky air ducts:
- Uneven cooling or heating in some rooms
- Constant and unusual amount of dust in your home
- Sudden spike in your energy consumption
- Your air conditioning unit runs non-stop
- Damaged or dented ductwork
- Poor indoor air quality
Here’s how to check leaks in your ductwork:
- Turn on your air conditioning system on full blast to see the leaks easily. You will find it hard to locate leaks if your A/C is not blowing air.
- Check and inspect your air ducts in the attic and basement. Move insulation away if you think it’s needed.
- Use your hand and place it near the duct joints. You know there are leaks if you feel the air coming out. Alternatively, you may light a piece of incense and see if the smoke twirls or moves erratically.
- Look for duct tapes and remove them. Most of the time, they are not an effective solution in sealing air ducts, not as a permanent fix. Next, mark the leaky spots or areas with a grease pencil so you can trace it back easily.
- You may use a foil-faced tape to seal the leaks or apply mastic to them.