You don’t have to compromise your household budget for your monthly heating expense. Here are 6 green and easy steps to warm your home at a lesser cost and turn it to a more environment-friendly place to stay.
- Insulate your home for the winter. The best way to keep your money is to make sure that heat is locked inside your home. Weatherizing is important and you can start by finding those drafts and sealing them. You can apply weather stripping or caulk to these areas.
- Adjust the thermostat setting. A programmable thermostat is effective to use to cut down on your heating expenses. You can also turn down the thermostat setting by 10 to 15 degrees when you’re not home. This can bring 10 percent saving on your annual heating and cooling consumption cost.
- Use fireplace inserts. A part of your home which greatly contributes in losing warm air is your old fireplace. Fireplace inserts which can be made of steel plates, cast iron or glass can help turn back the efficiency of your fireplace and also make it more pleasing to the eye.
- Upgrade your windows. Your windows play an important part in keeping your house warm. Old windows are more prone to drafts and may be the reason why your heating bill is drastically rising. Installing a double-paned window is an effective upgrade you can do due to its ability to reduce heat loss. There are also those which can reflect back heat.
- Heat your home with space heaters. You can opt for space heaters as heating alternative especially when you want to occupy only a certain room in the house. Space heaters are electrically operated and can heat your home at a lesser expense. It can also help reduce the chance of system overheat.
- Invest in a pellet stove. A budget-friendly and greenest way to warm your home is using a pellet stove. This is like a wood-burning stove but less costly to install since it doesn’t require a chimney. You can also guarantee that you contribute in saving the environment because it’s a clean-burning device and is exempted from smoke-emission testing requirement.
Give you home the warmth that it needs and your wallet the comfort it deserves with these helpful tips from LoveJoy HVAC. If you need help making these tips possible or you need an emergency assistance when it comes to your HVAC system, our friendly technicians are just around the corner.