Thanks to air conditioning units, you will no longer be sweating and fanning yourselves during the hottest days of the year. But aside from keeping you cool and comfortable, there is more about your A/C which is worth knowing. Here are 10 cool facts about your air conditioning units.
- Ice. The original air conditioners that keep people cool were blocks of ice. In the advent of air conditioning units in 1902, the output rating of air conditioners are measured based on how much blocks of ice are needed to get the same cooling power.
- Newspaper. The inspiration for the invention of air conditioning units are newspapers. It was when Willis Carrier was finding a way to keep humidity low and prevent his papers from expanding and contracting.
- Medication. The most important aspect that allows long survival of your air conditioning unit is medication. Cool and less humid environment is necessary in laboratories to accurately study organisms and other necessities.
- Heat Tolerance. According to studies, the heat tolerance level of people from years ago is higher than the time that air conditioning units were invented. This is why summer becomes too hot for us than for the generations that passed.
- Herbert Hoover. The first President to enjoy air conditioning is Herbert Hoover. He spent $30,000 to install the system in the oval office.
- Car A/C. The first car with air conditioning installed was first introduced by the automobile manufacturer Packard in 1939. The demands however were low because of high cost and that A/C system almost took up half of the car’s space.
- Movie Theaters. One of the public places to first use air conditioners was movie theaters. They were the coolest public places before. This is a strategy to get everyone to come and watch movies.
- Allergies and A/C. Air conditioners are great in keeping allergens out of the house. They are proven to have positive effect on allergy and asthma sufferers.
- Electric Fans. The predecessors of A/C are electric fans but they do not actually cool your home. They just produce the “wind chill effect” by lowering your body temperature and evaporating those sweats.
- Go Green. To save more energy and money, choose to upgrade your air conditioners with “greener” technology. The EPA recommends this strategy to save the environment while boosting your savings.
Call the professionals at LoveJoy HVAC to learn more about your heating and cooling units. If you need HVAC services in Lucas, TX and nearby towns, call us!